OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre, is a brand new $10-million dollar tennis facility located in Southeast Calgary. The Centre opened in the spring of 2016 is regarded as one of Canada’s premier tennis facilities.
A not-for-profit organization, the Centre has welcomed the local community with year-round access to eight indoor courts, five outdoor championship courts, multiple court viewing areas, a fitness studio, pro shop, hospitality services and onsite parking. The Centre has become the heart of Calgary’s growing tennis community and will redefine the standard for major tennis facilities across Canada.
The Centre is jointly supported by Tennis Canada and championed by local funders.
For more information visit: http://www.albertatenniscentre.ca
The OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre is looking to fill a Tennis Professional position. The candidate must have a comprehensive and diverse skill set with considerable experience in the areas of junior development, junior and adult programs and event management. The Tennis Professional will work closely with the Tennis Director to deliver success on and off the court and it is anticipated that the successful candidate will work closely with Tennis Canada and Tennis Alberta to grow the game of tennis in Calgary and throughout the province.
Reporting directly to the Tennis Director, the Tennis Professional will be responsible for implementing the Tennis Centre’s development plan in conjunction with the Tennis Director and will coordinate programs, working with the coaching staff to ensure progression of adult and junior players in various programs ranging from beginner to national level. This position also includes teaching adult & junior programs & clinics, running adult and junior leagues, assisting, organizing and attending social events, preparing records and reports and promoting the game of tennis at the Centre.
The successful candidate will have excellent organizational & interpersonal skills as well as a strong working knowledge of Tennis Canada and Tennis Alberta development programs which are considered strong assets for this position.
This position requires flexible work hours, including evenings and weekends, according to program or event needs.
The Centre will offer a competitive compensation package. The successful candidate will be an employee of the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
★ Teach private lessons, camps, junior and adult group clinics as required.
★ Assist in running adult leagues and programs
★ Plan and implement junior social events, minimum 2 seasonally
★ Perform all administrative duties required for areas of responsibility.
★ Participate in junior and adult social events as required
★ Assist in the running of Centre Championships in conjunction with the Tennis Director
★ Assist in the running of one family event (Mother /daughter, etc.) per year
★ Oversee Tennis Bulletin Boards and recognition of members
★ Attend program meetings and assist with program development.
★ Assist in organizing club, provincial, national or international events as required
★ Submit monthly Junior & Adult Tennis Team News items as required.
★ Organize monthly Adult Ladders
★ Be aware and adhere to the Centre standards for the tennis facility
★ Be aware of and enforce Tennis Centre rules and Health & Safety policies. All employees have a responsibility to ensure that the centre is a healthy and safe environment. Employees must:
o Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act regulations and the Centre’s Health and Safety policies and procedures.
o Use or wear any equipment, protective devices or clothing required by the centre.
o Report to your manager/supervisor any known equipment or protective device that may be dangerous, missing, or defective.
o Report any known workplace hazard or violation of the Act or regulations to your manager/supervisor.
o Report all accidents, illness, or “near miss” incidents to your manager/supervisor immediately.
o Do not remove or disable any protective device.
o Handle hazardous substances according to the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System regulations.
o Work safely and not use or operate any equipment in a way that may endanger any worker.
o Do not engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, running or rough and boisterous conducts which may jeopardize their safety or the safety and well-being of others.
★ Minimum Tennis Canada Club Pro 1 certification or candidate or (International Equivalent)
★ University or College degree in Sport Science, Physical Education or equivalent is considered a strong asset;
★ Minimum 3-5 years of experience in the Tennis industry (preferably in leadership positions)
★ Proven track-record in junior development & high performance program design and implementation ★ Strong understanding of Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and Tennis Canada Tennis Development Pathways and programs
★ Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
★ Strong organizational skills, self-starter, team player
★ Past National or International ranked player/coach, minimum 5.0 current playing ability
★ A strong understanding physiology, sport science, advanced bio-mechanics
★ First Aid certification, Criminal Record Check required
★ A strong relationship builder and team player
★ Experience travelling to national & international competitions; travelling with junior and college aged athletes
★ Strong understanding of national and international tennis development trends
APPLICATION PROCESS & FOR MORE INFORMATION: Potential candidates are asked to submit a covering letter summarizing the candidate’s qualifications, Resume and compensation expectations via email to:
ATTENTION: Mr. Danny Da Costa, General Manager OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre
Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
COMPENSATION: Will be based on successful candidate’s qualifications and experience.
# OF HOURS PER WEEK: Full Time
CLOSING DATE: This job posting closes June 1, 2017
START DATE: This position will begin when the OSTEN & VICTOR Alberta Tennis Centre begins formal operations.
Facilitator – Oakridge Racquet Club
The Oakridge Racquet club is a small club with many offerings for our Tennis and Pickleball members. We are looking for a Facilitator for our 2016 season. The Facilitator will be involved in all facets of the club from working with kids delivering programs, to event organizing, to administration and general support. We need a self-starter who has the ability to set their own direction and work with minimal supervision.
- Student status – 15-30 years with current fulltime status and intent to return to fulltime in September
- Tennis background (minimum 3.0 player) required
- Instructor status a definite asset
- Hours will vary based on club activities
- Criminal record required upon offer of employment
- Self-starter, ability to set their own direction and work
- Excellent written communication
- Confidence with Social Media, particularly Facebook
- Be the face of Oakridge Racquet Club. Get to know the tennis players and help to make it a good experience.
- Ensure all members have access to the online booking system and provide assistance if required. Assist with the ongoing management of the system.
- Monitoring member activities
- Ensuring all members have shoe tag displayed
- Ensuring members are using courts within the ORC guidelines
- Ensuring courts are kept in good condition
- Ensuring only authorized people use the ball machine
- Auditing the online booking system
- Managing club ladders/leagues
- General court and clubhouse maintenance
- Maintain ball supply, new/used/ball machine
- Check nets, courts and equipment regularly and report repair requirements
- Maintain shed and Clubhouse in tidy and orderly condition at all times
- Club Communication
- Writing and distributing weekly newsletter
- Making posters, advertisements and keeping the bulletin board up to date
- Administration of the Facebook page
- General marketing
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Assisting with scheduling and maintaining volunteer schedule for ongoing activities at the club
- General Administration
- Receiving, submitting and tracking all guest fees
- Inventory tracking
- Maintenance of ORC calendar of activities
- Club ladders
- Managing the General email
- Social Media – Managing the Facebook page
- Distribution of member shoe tags
- Liaise with Tennis Alberta as required
- Tennis Drop In
- Ensuring balls are provided for all events, and that they are returned after play.
- When scheduling permits, the student will be responsible for organizing the drop-in participants.
- Collecting any guest fees as applicable.
- Pickleball drop-in
- Ensuring nets are available.
- Ensuring any equipment is loaned and returned.
- After School Learn to Play
- Responsible for running this program. Working with kids daily to provide a fun tennis experience for children.
- Skills development and games – making tennis fun for the kids.
- Assisting with all facets of event preparation
- Working the tournaments if required
- Other duties as required
- Rainout days – you may be asked to help with OCA activities as directed
Please apply with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
First Serve Tennis Coaching Positions
First Serve Tennis is currently accepting applications for full and part time coaching positions for various community tennis programs in the City of Calgary between the months of May and August, 2017.
First Serve Tennis offers very competitive hourly wages ($20-25 per hour based on qualifications). Your own transportation will be required to travel to the different communities that we work with.
Please send your application in writing to Jeff Spiers at email@example.com and include your resume and contact details. For more information about First Serve Tennis please visit our website at www.firstservetennis.ca or call us at (403) 243-6717.
Year-Round Volunteering Opportunities:
Rogers Rookie Tour
Rogers Rookie Tours are one or two day entry level events for children new to the sport of tennis. A “fun first” environment is created for players to have multiple time limited matches. Volunteers help with set up/ take down of court equipment, supervising match play which includes assisting with score keeping, time keeping and clarification of rules. The Rogers Rookie Tour is perfect for the volunteer who wants to share their enthusiasm about tennis with the kids. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
New! Tennis Story Contributors
Tennis Alberta is actively looking for new tennis stories from our community to be heard. If you like writing, sharing, or posting on social media, we would love to hear from you. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
New! Tennis Story Contributors
Are you a recreational player, registered competitor, tennis pro or parent? Is there an issue within the tennis community that isn’t getting the focus it deserves? Tennis Alberta will be inviting various blog hosts each month to voice their opinions and get the conversation flowing between coaches, parents, and players alike. If you would like to become a blog contributor, or simply want to suggest a topic, don’t hesitate to contact us.